Friday, July 11, 2008


I've always loved the name Gabriel and of course I am drawn to the Archangel also. People keep asking me if I have any work with boys starring in them and I must say I don't have many. My boys always end up looking like girls anyway. So here finally is a girlish looking melancholy boy called Gabriel. He's on a journey I guess, away from his base - his home, he has a companion for only a part of the way and then he's on his own for whatever the next phase awaits.


On researching the Archangel Gabriel - (after I did the majority of the painting ) I discovered that his colour is blue, that he carries a trumpet (which I then added), and sometimes a lily. He is often associated with the feminine side - with water, the moon, intuition, psychic ability, prophecies, visions and dreams.


He is also known as the guide for unborn souls during the gestation period. Oddly one of my original sketches of this painting had a pregnant women in the background before I changed it to the current composition. It's funny how you key into universal symbols without even realizing whilst sketching.

Anyway it's all so sweet I think. I hope you like it as well.

"Gabriel"
50 x 60cm ( 20 x 24 inches)
Mixed media on canvas

3 comments:

  1. Lindy, that's just lovely! It is much harder to paint boys and I think you've done a great job with it. Love the dog too! :-)

    Maia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a nice day Lindy !
    You are "Brillant Weblog" on mine !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful painting. I'm not sure whether I would describe Gabriel as 'melancholy'; perhaps, for me, he has a poignancy about him that relates to his acceptance about the journey he is about to take, and a wisdom that he somehow has that the journeys of our lives are not necessarily easy. So, is 'poignant' different to 'melancholic'? I think it is - but we can debate this! Hey, this is how our own stuff interprets art! But the journeying is an archetype that most of us relate to, and maybe that's why I responded to him so much. He's beautiful. I loved the dog! I also love the (subtle, almost hidden?) sense of home you have in so many of your paintings (as I see it). Very grounding.

    ReplyDelete